Registration Requirements

Age Requirements for Children to Begin School:

Kindergarten: A child must be 5 years old on or before September 1st.
First Grade: A child must be 6 years old on or before September 1st.

Residency Process
In order for a student to be eligible to enroll in St. Johns County schools, the student’s residence must be in St. Johns County. A student’s residence is defined as the primary current residence of the student, parents or legal guardian(s). If a student’s parents or legal guardians live in separate residences while sharing physical custody under the terms of a court-order the student may attend the school zoned for either residence with appropriate residency documentation.

Full and Complete Current Residency
If the student’s primary residence changes, notification and updated documentation must be provided to the school within 10 school days.

Residency Fraud
Parent(s)/Guardian(s) are committing residency fraud if they submit an address during the enrollment process that is not their true residence.

If there is reasonable suspicion that the student is not residing at the claimed address, the following procedures may be implemented at the discretion of the Superintendent or designee.

A letter may be sent to parent(s) who have conflicting address information requesting that the parent verify and update enrollment information. This may be followed by a phone conversation or home visit.

The school staff may examine the Property Appraiser’s website to determine the parent’s homestead (primary residence) location. The homestead address of the parent will be used as a factor to determine the student’s zoned school. A conflicting address indicates that further investigation is required.

If it is determined that the student is attending a school outside of their zone, the student shall be withdrawn by the school and must be registered and enrolled in the appropriate zoned school.

In all cases the Superintendent or designee reserves the right to make an independent investigation and to make the final determination as to the residence of a student.

The Attendance Zone Locator ( should be used to determine the appropriate zoned school. Out of Zone Waiver information is available at

Registration Requirements – Health

Florida Immunization Requirements: FAQs
What are the school immunization requirements for children entering a Florida school for the first time or relocating from another state to Florida? Immunization requirements for children to attend school in Florida can be found at: text Immunization Guidelines document dated March 2013)

Where can I find the recommended immunization schedule for persons aged 0 through 18 years? (quick look schedule flyer)

Without medical insurance how can I get my children immunized?
The Vaccines for Children (VFC) Program is a federal program that provides eligible children with all recommended vaccines at no cost. The federal government pays for the vaccines. Doctors and clinics agree to give the vaccines to children who qualify.

Children from birth through 18 years of age can receive VFC vaccine if they:
o Are enrolled in Medicaid (including Medipass and Medicaid HMOs); have no health insurance; are an American Indian or Alaskan Native as defined by the Indian Health Services Act (25 U.S.C. 1603) or underinsured.
o Underinsured includes: Those who have commercial (private) health insurance but the coverage does not include vaccines. Whose insurance covers only selected vaccines (VFC-eligible for non-covered vaccines only). Whose insurance caps vaccine coverage at a certain amount, once that coverage amount is reached these children are categorized as underinsured.

*Health Departments in all counties participate in the VFC Program. ALL children can receive immunizations through the Dept. of Health with or without insurance.

How can I get a religious exemption from immunization for my child?
A request for a religious exemption from immunization requirements must be presented to the facility/school on the Department of Health’s Religious Exemption Form Immunization (DH 681 Form). The Form is issued ONLY by county health departments and ONLY for a child who is not immunized because of his/her family’s religious tenets or practices. Religious exemption from immunization requirements is located at: (religious exemptions from immunizations are good indefinitely)

How can I get a Temporary Medical Exemption for my child?
Health care providers may grant a Temporary Medical Exemption for children who are in the process of completing any necessary immunizations. The Temporary Medical Exemption requires an expiration date after which the exemption is no longer valid. The immunizations must be completed on or before that date. Temporary Medical Exemptions must be documented in Part B of the DH 680 Form.

How can I get a Permanent Medical Exemption for my child?
Health care providers may grant a Permanent Medical Exemption for children who cannot be fully immunized due to medical reasons. In this case, the child’s physician must state in writing, the reasons for exemption based on valid clinical reasoning or evidence. This must be documented in Part C on the DH 680 Form. (permanent medical exemptions from immunizations are good indefinitely)

How can I get a current and accurate immunization record for my child for school?
Contact your child’s health care provider who maintains your child’s immunization records. Their office can provide you with your child’s Florida Certification of Immunization (DH Form 680), the form needed for school. Another place to look is at the County Health Department (CHD). If you received any immunizations there, they may be able to provide you with an immunization history. Locate a CHD in your area at If your child has attended a child care center or school, they may have a copy of your child’s immunization history on file at the center/school depending on how long ago they attended.

What is Florida SHOTS and how does it work?
Florida SHOTS (State Health Online Tracking System) is a free, statewide, centralized online immunization registry that helps parents, health care providers and schools keep track of immunization records. Ask your health care provider for a personal identification number so you can view your child’s immunization history and print a copy of your child’s Florida Certification of Immunization (DH Form 680). For more information visit the Florida SHOTS website at: You can also call the Florida SHOTS Help Desk at 1-877-888-7468.

** If you do not have a Birth Certificate, Immunization record on a Florida 680 Form and the required proof of residency, you will not be able to register your child**

If you have any questions please contact Susan Gould, Registrar/Data Operator via email: [email protected]
Additional Information regarding immunizations, call or visit:

Department of Health in St. Johns County
St. Johns County Health and Human Services Center
(904) 209-3250
200 San Sebastian View
St. Augustine, Florida 32084